Version Number in RTEMS Tools

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Nov 18 05:55:35 UTC 2015

On 18/11/2015 10:01 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> The answer may be "don't do that" but I was configuring for 4.11
> on the master and the dynamic loading tools now have 4.12
> hard coded. Everything built up to that point.
>
> Is there anyway to be more flexible or is this just a matter of even
> though the master can still be built with 4.11 tools, this bump forces
> a distinction.

If we have tool sets (gcc etc) with version numbers then you need to
match the tool set's version with the RTEMS version and the RTEMS tools
version. I cannot see a way around this. I am open to any suggestions.
This was the reason I asked about the purpose of this version number and
if it could be removed.

I suppose I could add an option to override the inbuilt version number.
Is this a good idea? The issue is now to the manage the option.

> Usually the forced bump for tools is a newlib or gcc incompatibility.

I suppose this is just something else to add to the list.