[rtems commit] bsp/qoriq: Use U-Boot provided FDT

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Oct 20 10:10:43 UTC 2015

On 20/10/15 00:46, Chris Johns wrote:
> Was this patch posted todevel at rtems.org  for review?

No, since this is a BSP specific patch.

> I do not remember any discussion about how BSPs and FDT will be
> supported.

U-Boot supports FDT for several years now. So, all U-Boot based BSPs may
use this option.

>   I posted an RTEMS API for FDT which seems to have been ignored.

I didn't ignore this, but I thought this is an optional add-on? The
libfdt is a well established API. I don't see an immediate need for an
RTEMS specific API on top of this. The FDT is used before the high level
parts of RTEMS are available, e.g. files.

> Can you please describe this use of FDT in RTEMS and how this can used
> by more than the immediate use you have for your BSP?

The use of FDT for BSPs is to get U-Boot provided parameters.

> Where is the documentation on how this is to be used by the BSP it is
> designed to support? I do not see now a user is to build an application
> to use this.

This is not for the user. This is for device driver parameters and the
low-level system startup.

> Which BSPs is this new BSP API intended for?
>
> I do not support this change and would like it reverted until a better
> proposal is put forward.

What is your alternative? There is no way for a QorIQ device as complex
as a T4240 without FDT.

> On 19/10/2015 6:53 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> >  c/src/lib/libbsp/shared/include/fdt.h             | 30 +++++++
>> >  c/src/lib/libbsp/shared/src/bsp-fdt.c             | 59 ++++++++++++++
> This is being adding the shared BSP API. Why?

This is useful for more than one BSP.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de