Memory protection on RTEMS?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Sep 9 19:14:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> ----- Martin Galvan <martin.galvan at tallertechnologies.com> schrieb:
>> Hi there! We were looking at the RTEMS SMP support, and wondered what
>> would it take for the system to support some form of memory protection
>> (say, an MPU). Is it possible, and if so, how hard would it be?
>
> the question is, what is "some form of memory protection" for you?

+1. Requirements differ in this space. Note that we do not intend to
have supervisor-privilege, so memory protection may be more applicable
for safety features or debugging, rather than security. Security is
guaranteed only if you can ensure no code injection and you have a
trusted code base.

> A process model for RTEMS makes no sense. For this you better use a micro kernel or Linux.
>
> The ARMv7-A and some PowerPC BSPs have write protection for code and read-only data. On some BSPs, read/write to the NULL pointer leads to an exception.  This is quite handy during development, but offers no real benefit for a production system.
>
> For one customer we implemented a stack protection, a thread can only access its own stack, but this is quite non-standard.
>

>> We also saw this:
>>
>> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Projects/MMU_Support
>>
>> What's the status of this project?
>
> I don't know. MMU support tends to be highly architecture specific, so the development of a general purpose API is quite difficult.

I am (as we speak) working on a proposal to look in this direction.
I'm happy to talk more or to consider how to align our efforts.