Math lib inclusion in BSP

sudarshan.rajagopalan sudarshan.rajagopalan at vecna.com
Fri Sep 25 17:13:53 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-25 12:21, Daniel Gutson wrote:
> El 25/9/2015 13:17, "sudarshan.rajagopalan"
> <sudarshan.rajagopalan at vecna.com> escribió:
>  >
>  > On 2015-09-25 11:06, Daniel Gutson wrote:
>  >>
>  >> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 4:49 PM, sudarshan.rajagopalan
>  >> <sudarshan.rajagopalan at vecna.com> wrote:
>  >>>
>  >>> Hey all,
>  >>>
>  >>> We are developing a new BSP that uses math.h in few of the BSP
> files. I do
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> May I ask why do you need floating point operations in a kernel?
> At
>  >> least, what sort of operations and why not move them upwards.
>  >
>  >
>  > We are doing floating point operations in one of the device drivers
> as part of the BSP - to perform buadrate calculation, to be specific,
> which involes inverse operations and using roundf().
>
> How will you handle fp exceptions?
>  Did you consider using fixed point?

We haven't implemented any error handling yet. We will do so in our next
phase. And I think we decided to use floating-point due to the available
FPU hardware support in the processor( ARM Cortex-M4 and M7) to make
these operations faster. Are there any concerns that we should be aware
of while using floating-point operations in the BSP?