GSoC 2016 Interested in Tracing was Re:

vivek kukreja vivekkukreja5 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 14:30:47 UTC 2016

Hi Joel

Sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for your comments on my proposal.

I would like to share my progress so far. I ran the fileio trace example as described on the Trace Buffering page and started studying rtems-tld. I made changes so that rtems-tld command auto-generates a CTF metadata file for a given .ini file. I assumed each buffer as a different stream containing events like buffer entry/exit, buffer argument, return values etc.
Then i modified the buffer functions so they produce trace described by above metadata.
I have also made changes to RTEMS shell utility rtrace so it can print trace in CTF format for analysis.

Thank you for highlighting user extensions. I haven't looked into these yet. Can you point me to an example or a test where these are being used? I will study these and update the document soon.

Also, as you mentioned currently capture has to be paused for generating trace. Im investigating how this can be addressed in the capture engine. Any suggestions are appreciated. For example, im looking at a producer-consumer solution for simultaneous read/write using 2 threads.

I intend to keep the framework structure intact, and reuse the existing functional tests. I will extend unit tests to test the new features regarding CTF trace generation.

By the mid-term evaluation, auto generation of metadata and trace wrappers that produce CTF traces will be complete. The mid term deliverable will have all the capabilites of current trace framework, alebit the trace generated will be in CTF format. That will also allow us to decode these traces in Babeltrace too.
I will also pay attention to creating good examples, documentation and video demonstration as you have suggested.

Im occupied with my college exams but I will put these details in the document as soon as possible.

Regards,
Vivek