Move POSIX network headers like <sys/socket.h> etc. to Newlib?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Apr 7 14:37:05 UTC 2016

On Apr 7, 2016 5:56 AM, "Sebastian Huber" <

> On 07/04/16 11:56, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> Probably not without modifications, but it is the goal.

Good.

>> Removing the stack from RTEMS is something I would like to see happen
but this effects the other networking code in the tree.

>> The plan is to make the stack build externally.

So this is part of this upcoming effort?

Chris and I chatted last week that once this happens, the number of
configure options should really be able to decline. SMP, MP, and the set of
tests to build are the primary ones we would need to have.

>>> Before we start
>>> working on this we have to be sure that the general change is
acceptable.

Yes. Moving POSIX .h files to newlib is good IMO. And if Cygwin decides to
also use them, it is better for a broader community.

Check with the newlib community to see if there bite. Corrina and Jeff
usually like to share the headers.

>> What sort of time frame are you thinking about?
>

> Our primary goal is to make it possible to compile libressl per multilib
and to simplify the standard/libbsd stack handling. We only have a very
limited time budget for this and is should be available as soon as possible.

Any thoughts on how to move the drivers that are in BSPs when the old stack
is external? Obviously they need to go along with the stack.

Chris and I have discussed at least some of the network services being
considered packages beyond the stack. Stuff like httpd, ftpd, and telnetd
should be able to work with either stack. Having one instance of those to
maintain would be great.

I'm happy to see all this happen. Hopefully it can show up in digestable
pieces.