RSB Git modified status

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Apr 18 22:11:10 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
> On 19/04/2016 02:34, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>>
>> I didn't quite follow. Is this to determine whether RSB should do
>> something?
>

> I am sorry, I should have provided more of a context.
>
>> I guess this is caused by some bootstrap or configure that
>> creates untracked files in a repo?
>

> Yes.
>

>> What does it matter?
>>

> It is used to create the version message, for example gcc ...
>
> $ i386-rtems4.12-gcc --version
> i386-rtems4.12-gcc (GCC) 6.0.0 20160327 (RTEMS 4.12, RSB
> 6843e47ce33961e5a705285f3af7a78cae0c2891-modified, Newlib 2.4.0)
>
> This lets us know if the repo is clean or dirty and if changes have been
> made. It helps us support users and it can be part of the evidence in an
> audit.

For this specific use, I would not call it modified, because it is
useful to differentiate between a tree that has actually been modified
by a user, and a build that is "vanilla" with only modifications
introduced by auto-gen files. Any untracked files present should only
affect the build if the user also modifies tracked files (short of a
user hacking Makefile.in and configure files, too).