Draft for moving network headers from RTEMS to newlib

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Apr 27 06:41:24 UTC 2016

On 27/04/16 08:20, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 27/04/2016 15:58, Sebastian Huber wrote:
[...]
>>> Does gcc's multilib search extend beyond it's own install base?
>>
>> A multilib is a normal library which is available via the builtin search
>> paths of GCC:
>>
>> LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/rtems-4.12/lib64/gcc/arm-rtems4.12/6.0.1/thumb/armv7-m/:/opt/rtems-4.12/lib64/gcc/arm-rtems4.12/6.0.1/../../../../arm-rtems4.12/lib/thumb/armv7-m/:/opt/rtems-4.12/lib64/gcc/arm-rtems4.12/6.0.1/:/opt/rtems-4.12/lib64/gcc/arm-rtems4.12/6.0.1/../../../../arm-rtems4.12/lib/
>>

> Does this mean all multilib libraries need the same prefix as gcc?

Yes, as far as I know.

>>> mpentium;@mtune=pentium
>>> mpentiumpro;@mtune=pentiumpro
>>> soft-float;@msoft-float
>>> m486/soft-float;@mtune=i486 at msoft-float
>>
>> The output is just like the clang output.
>
> I suspect clang was forced to follow gcc. :)
>
>> What do you mean with not user friendly?
>
> It is designed to be machine decoded. I suspect few on this list could
> decode that output and understand it and this is the interface a user
> gets if they want to use it.
>
>> Its good enough to simply use it in the previously attached script.
>
> I think RTEMS has to do much better than 'hey hack on my script'.

This was not my intended message. The GCC -print-multi-lib output is
good enough to be easily used by scripts.

[...]
>> except that you see standard network headers even if the BSP is
>> built without a network stack.
>
> Does this mess with the dummy.c support and create weird linker errors?

I don't think this will pull in default-configuration (previously know
as dummy.c). If you use socket() without a network stack, then you get
an unresolved symbol to socket() linker error. default-configuration.c
is only involved if you use a module and don't provide the module
configuration.

> I assume all externals in the headers moved over have to have symbols
> added.
>
>> We should come to a conclusion if we want the standard network headers
>> in Newlib or not.
>
> There are 2 threads happening here. The benefit or impact of multibed
> libraries and the move to newlib of standard headers. I am ok with the
> header move. I am sure things will come up but I am also sure they can
> be addressed. The impact of multilibed library can consider mute
> because you have answer my central question which is both models for
> libraries can be supported.

You can provide a library in a multilib directory or in a BSP-specific
directory or in whatever directory you want to use. The linker search
path determines which one is actually used.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de