Move POSIX network headers like <sys/socket.h> etc. to Newlib?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Apr 7 09:56:17 UTC 2016

On 7/04/2016 7:25 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 07/04/16 11:05, Chris Johns wrote:
>>
>> Do they allow the in-tree stack to build? [1]
>
> Probably not without modifications, but it is the goal.

Removing the stack from RTEMS is something I would like to see happen
but this effects the other networking code in the tree.

The plan is to make the stack build externally.

> Before we start
> working on this we have to be sure that the general change is acceptable.

What sort of time frame are you thinking about?

>> If this helps us remove the in-tree stack from the source tree I am
>> all for it.
>>
>> Would this allow the existing NSF client to build with the new stack?
>
> I don't think so, due to the dependency on the RPC support (which is a
> real hack and a ticking security bomb).

That may be true but it allows an NFS connection which is currently more
than the new stack can do and that has caught a few people out. I
suspect the users who need an NFS mount do not have security concerns.