Move POSIX network headers like <sys/socket.h> etc. to Newlib?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Apr 8 02:22:39 UTC 2016

On 8/04/2016 12:37 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Chris and I have discussed at least some of the network services being
> considered packages beyond the stack. Stuff like httpd, ftpd, and
> telnetd should be able to work with either stack. Having one instance of
> those to maintain would be great.
>
> I'm happy to see all this happen. Hopefully it can show up in digestable
> pieces.

We need to maintain our current functionality and I am prepared to
bridge but not abandon. The libbsd stack has made progress but does not
support as much as the old stack does. Until it does I feel we need to
keep the old stack going and to support it.

To me this means adding headers to newlib requires the in-tree stack and
libbsd work with out impacting users and existing applications.

If I understand what is bring proposed any suitable networking software
should be able to be built against just the compiler, newlib etc and it
does not need a built and installed RTEMS with a specific networking
implementation. This means networking could become a link time setting.
An interesting challenge.

Sebastian, I know you have talked about libressl, but it is still not
clear to me why doing this is needed. Do you have a specific use case?