POSIX compliance development

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Dec 21 23:28:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> Option #1 writing a script is better. We occasionally add
> implementations for POSIX features as needed for various compliance
> test requirements or application portability.

POSIX compliance is desirable within the limits of a single process
environment.
However, I see four basic categories of missing methods:

+ unimplementable - fork() for example.
   Disclaimer: I see this as implementable in some environments in which
   RTEMS is paravirtualized.
+ implementable but should be in newlib - missing math methods, etc.
+ implementable but should be in RTEMS -
+ don't care - there are some POSIX 2013 methods that I don't think
   anyone really wants.

Much of what is missing at this point per the FACE POSIX profiles is
things that need to be added to newlib. I don't have the list handy but
can get Jeff to email it to you.

The FACE Techncial Standard is at www.opengroup.org/face. You
want Appendix A of version 2.1. FACE defines four POSIX profiles
for avionics. RTEMS is close to meeting Safety Base. Gedare and I
have pending commits for that. If you ignore the process
related methods in Safety Extended, we will meet that also. General
Purpose has ~800 of the ~1300 in POSIX 1003-2013. RTEMS has
say 85% of those and many missing belong in newlib. I don't know
how RTEMS does past General Purpose.

What methods are you concerned about?

--joel