RTEMS SMP Status Report v3

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Dec 22 10:43:02 UTC 2016

----- Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> schrieb:
> On 22/12/2016 01:19, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> > The POSIX API provides no binary semaphores, so task/interrupt
> > synchronization is a problem. So, for drivers there is still a need for
> > some RTEMS-specific APIs.
>
> I like the idea of NP additions help us here. We already have
> pthread_getaffinity_np.

I don't like the idea of adding RTEMS-specific pthread_*_np() functions. The pthread_getaffinity_np(), etc. was invented by glibc (probably?). I don't think RTEMS should be the trendsetter in this area. It confuses users to have NP functions that are RTEMS-specific and NP functions that are available on Linux/BSD.

QNX has a list of non-POSIX functions with POSIX-sounding names:

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/am11/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.qnx.doc.neutrino.prog%2Ftopic%2Fposix_conformance_POSIX_sounding.html&cp=1_3_1_10_2

The gray area is task/interrupt synchronization. I didn't find something useful on the QNX page.

What we definitely need is something like a binary semaphore (a one bit event).

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de