Planned SMP Improvements

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Feb 1 15:57:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Darshit Shah <darnir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2016 at 10:54, Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>> Maybe we can implement
>>
>> Improve the SMP scheduler with arbitrary processor affinity support
>> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2510
>>
>> as part of this years GSoC.
>>
> I've already mentioned that I'd be interested in picking this up as a
> potential project. However, the entire implementation may not be
> possible in a single summer. It is rather complex, and while a naive
> implementation may be possible to write, we would want something more
> efficient. I'm hoping for some pointers on where I should start
> looking for a better understanding of the codebase.

Your best bet is probably to look at some of the smptests and follow
the logic there. The primary documentation for the kernel is in
doxygen currently:
https://docs.rtems.org/doxygen/cpukit/html/modules.html

You should start to break-down the larger project into smaller
sub-projects/tasks and think about your project plan. This will help
you to write a strong proposal that could guide you through the entire
summer.

Also, getting one of the SMP-capable targets running is a good idea.
Last I remember there is an ARM target you can run in SMP mode on
Qemu.

Gedare