general comments on sysiinit patches

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 26 15:51:06 UTC 2016

Hi

I have questions that probably impact all/most of the patches so thought I
would start another thread. Then it is just detailed review of the
individual patches.

+ We have used EXTERN to avoid duplicating extern and instantiating data.
You appear to have completely removed that pattern with no discussion of
changing the coding style.  I really don't like duplication of the
information.

+ Do you have any size metrics for current --disable-posix on a BSP with
function sections enabled versus this new way?

+ What impact does this have on BSP linkcmds? I am guessing since you
already added all the rtems sysinit magic, this will just work with no
issues. And we are stuck with missing function section KEEP's.

Not opposed to doing the sysinit. I would just like to know what the size
delta is between the two solutions.  I am guessing this and function
sections will be consistently smaller as compared to when POSIX is
currently enabled.

--joel