RTEMS BSP Builder for developers

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Jul 12 00:03:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have added a new tool to the RTEMS Tools Project to build BSPs in
various command line combinations to help check if a patch is ok for
submission. Using the tool is not mandatory but it does help if you have
a patch that effects a number of configure options. The motivation
behind this tool is to make a standard and supported tool to replace
scripts various developers have and used for many years.

The tool is not for users to build a BSP. It is a testing tool.

The tool is configured by a file
(https://git.rtems.org/rtems-tools/tree/tester/rtems/rtems-bsps.ini) and
what I have provided is to seed the tool and to get things up and
running. Suggestions and additions are most welcome. Please send patches
to this list or open a ticket.

In time we will need to ensure the tier-1 profile builds and I would
like to get a way for warning levels to be checks against online levels
so the tool can highlight warning regressions.

I am using the tools with the following command line:

  $ /opt/work/rtems/4.12/bin/rtems-bsp-builder \
            --rtems-tools /opt/work/rtems/4.12 \
            --rtems /opt/work/chris/rtems/kernel/rtems.git \
            --build-path /builds/rtems \
            --log=l.txt

You can specify a build directory where the build output is placed. In
my case I have a ZFS formatted spinning disk mounted for this purpose
under /build. The tools and source are on SSD disks.

Currently there are 13 variations built per BSP, the configuration file
has the details.

The log contains a list of warnings sorted by frequency.

I am seeing around 3m30s per BSP being built.