Help required with RTEMS Capture Engine.

Jennifer Averett Jennifer.Averett at OARcorp.com
Thu Jul 21 14:39:21 UTC 2016

If I remember correctly the capture engine should not be
running when you print and free records.  The trace should
have been stopped then records printed and freed so that
the records in the buffer are visible when trace is turned
back on.  I don't think the buffer is protected when it is running.

Jennifer Averett
On-Line Applications Research
From: devel [devel-bounces at rtems.org] On Behalf Of Chris Johns [chrisj at rtems.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 5:32 PM
To: vivek kukreja; devel at rtems.org
Subject: Re: Help required with RTEMS Capture Engine.

On 19/07/2016 18:30, vivek kukreja wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm Vivek Kukreja and i'm working on Capture Engine for GSoC this year. I'm running rtems 4.12 and I came across an error on running the capture.exe example to trace user extensions.
> The 'ctrace' command is giving an error RTEMS_UNSATISFIED.
> I think this error is due to a faulty if condition in cpukit/libmisc/capture.c
>
> I think the following exit condition is inconsistent:
> if ( (capture_flags_global & RTEMS_CAPTURE_ON) != 0 )
>
> And it should be:
> if ( (capture_flags_global & RTEMS_CAPTURE_ON) == 0 )
>
> I've been asked to open a ticket for this bug but i wanted to confirm beforehand if anyone else faced this issue, since the capture engine code was commited 16months back.

There is something wrong with this code and I am not sure what it is.
Joel is going to have to sort this out.

For example, this comment says this function returns a number of record
slots back to the capture engine which implies to me this can be called
with the capture engine is running:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/libmisc/capture/capture.c#n1244

and yet the type of code you point out:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/libmisc/capture/capture.c#n1269

says you cannot do this operation while the capture is on. One of these
things is wrong and I do not know which.

I suspect the test is wrong but I am not sure if it is ok to change or
if the test is actually valid.

Joel?