RTEMS BSD Net on Atmel SAM Board

Isaac Gutekunst isaac.gutekunst at vecna.com
Thu Jun 2 15:09:31 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 07:18 PM, Pavel Pisa wrote:
> Hello Isaac,
>
> On Wednesday 01 of June 2016 23:09:39 Isaac Gutekunst wrote:
>> I believe I solved all my problems. Not enough memory. After updating the
>> linker script to use SDRAM, everything appears to be working well! (Knock
>> on wood).
>
> I think that SAM V71 setup with 2 MB of external SDRAM is not much
> above minimal limit for use of RTEMS with BSD networking.
> If the single chip solution with only 128kB of internal SRAM
> is considered (may be with additional 128kB which can be borrow
> for some buffer from the instruction TCM) then it cannot
> be used with libBSD based networking. So it would worth
> to consider lwIP. I hope that it would be integrated to
> the RTEMS file operations API as part of this year GSoC.
> So this option worth to be considered to support
> networking on the small systems.

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the info.

We will definitely be adding the largest SDRAM chip we can find to our final board, so I imagine we will be okay.

Based on the weirdness I've experienced, not having enough RAM doesn't necessarily result in a nice error message. What do you think is a good amount of RAM to give the stack, and how can I be sure it's enough?

Isaac