RTEMS BSD Net on Atmel SAM Board

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Wed Jun 1 23:18:13 UTC 2016

Hello Isaac,

On Wednesday 01 of June 2016 23:09:39 Isaac Gutekunst wrote:
> I believe I solved all my problems. Not enough memory. After updating the
> linker script to use SDRAM, everything appears to be working well! (Knock
> on wood).

I think that SAM V71 setup with 2 MB of external SDRAM is not much
above minimal limit for use of RTEMS with BSD networking.
If the single chip solution with only 128kB of internal SRAM
is considered (may be with additional 128kB which can be borrow
for some buffer from the instruction TCM) then it cannot
be used with libBSD based networking. So it would worth
to consider lwIP. I hope that it would be integrated to
the RTEMS file operations API as part of this year GSoC.
So this option worth to be considered to support
networking on the small systems.

On the other hand, BSD based networking is much more
capable.

Best wishes,

            Pavel