libbsd: Argument list too long

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Jun 10 16:20:10 UTC 2016

On Jun 10, 2016 9:16 AM, "Sebastian Huber" <

> Hello,
>
> I added the NFSv3 client to libbsd which has now 884 files for the
libbsd.a library. On msys2 this leads to an "Argument list too long" error
during library creation. Is there a way to fix this in waf, e.g. you can
pass the files to GNU ld via an input file instead of the argument list?

Yes. I recall two direct ways.

+ @XXX where XXX is a file containing the rest.of the command line
arguments. I don't know how universally this is supported by the GNU tools
by i am pretty sure gcc and binutils support it.

+ Generate a linker script with INPUT directives for.each file.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/gnu.gcc.help/E6STugqy2hQ shows
the latter. But there are examples out there using the @.