Raspberry pi not working with latest compiler and rtems-git

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Tue Jun 21 20:53:01 UTC 2016

Hello Alan,

On Tuesday 21 of June 2016 20:41:43 Alan Cudmore wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
> I compiled your branch, and it stopped on after the last line below ( on
> the Pi Model A+ )
>
> Now I think it may be the options I use to compile the BSP. What configure
> options do you use for the Pi?

My RPi1 config is

../../../git/rtems/configure --target=arm-rtems4.12 --prefix=/opt/rtems4.12 \
  --enable-rtems-inlines --disable-multiprocessing --enable-cxx \
  --enable-rdbg --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-tests=samples \
  --disable-networking --enable-posix --disable-itron --disable-ada \
  --disable-expada --disable-multilib --disable-docs \
  --enable-rtemsbsp="raspberrypi"

RPi2 (tested only on QEMU)

../../../git/rtems/configure --target=arm-rtems4.12 --prefix=/opt/rtems4.12 \
  --enable-rtems-inlines --disable-multiprocessing --enable-cxx \
  --enable-rdbg --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-tests=samples \
  --enable-networking --enable-posix --disable-itron --disable-ada \
  --disable-expada --disable-multilib --disable-docs \
  --enable-rtemsbsp="raspberrypi2"

May it be, that some options are historical reminiscences
to previous RTEMS versions.
I think that --enable-rtems-inlines is ignored/not recognized
by actual version.

As for the output, if it is not simplified then there is something strange

> bsp_console_select:
>
>   rpi_video_is_initialized OK
>  _Thread_Start_multitasking ...
>
> _Thread_Start_multitasking:
>
>  printk test ...

should be followed by " printk test OK" in the hacked
version

https://github.com/ppisa/rtems/blob/rtems-rpi-devel/cpukit/score/src/threadstartmultitasking.c#L31

  ll_strout("_Thread_Start_multitasking:\n");
  ll_strout(" printk test ...\n");
  printk(" printk test OK\n");

if the printk output does not appear then it can be redirected to HDMI
output or something else is broken in console driver or related setup.

>  _Thread_Get_heir_and_make_it_executing ...
>
>  _Profiling_Thread_dispatch_disable ...

Is it possible that you have left console redirection to HDMI
in config.txt ? The line is not checked for '#' comment leading
character so you need to rename file or remove/alter option.

To ensure that there is not some error hidden on my side
by use of U-boot, I have checked actual RTME GIT master
build on RPi1 B+ with direct boot through config.txt
kernel option in addition to TFTP load test and both
seems to work OK with both, serial and HDMI console.

Please, can you test version with HACK applied on RPi2?

I have (force) updated my GitHub rtems-rpi-devel branch
to actual mainline + HACK. But there should not be
a difference.

Best wishes,

             Pavel