Project for GSoC 2016

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Mar 11 19:41:26 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Ankit ladhania <ankitladhania at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a final year student pursuing Bachelors in Computer Science and
> Engineering from Indian School of Mines (IIT), Dhanbad.
>
> I have studied and analyzed RTEMS and I think I would be a good fit for
> "Porting V8 to RTEMS" project based on the prior experiences in Amazon,
> WebEngage and many other projects. I have done course work related to OS
> and am quite familiar with system calls and bare bones of OS. I have been
> working with JavaScript for more than 3 years so I know the architecture of
> how V8 is designed and its working.
>
> Thus porting V8 to RTEMS would be both a fun and learning experience for
> me.
>
> I have few queries regarding the project :
>
>    1. What is the difficulty level of the project ?
>    2. What is the ETA for the project ?

Figuring this out is unfortunately part of the GSoC proposal effort.  I
would recommend
just trying it to see what the areas that will be touched by porting are.
That's what
I do when sizing up porting a package. Just hack and #if 0 my way through
it to see
where all needs to be touched.

The hoped for ETA is to finish it within the GSoC period. :)

You should do the RTEMS Hello World GSoC starter so we know you have a
working
development environment. You will need that to try the V8 port enough to
see the
challenges.

Regards,