GSOC - LwIP and Jailhouse hypervisor as possible tasks

Pavel Pisa pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
Sun Mar 20 00:50:47 UTC 2016

Hello Chris,

On Friday 18 of March 2016 02:08:14 Chris Johns wrote:
> On 18/03/2016 09:20, Pavel Pisa wrote:
> >> We can find someone with sufficient lwIP expertise if needed. There
> >> are a few lwIP ports of RTEMS around.
> >
> > we have workend at company and at university with
> > LwIP with porting and drivers writing and updates to RTEMS
> > and non RTEMS environment. I would like to see LwIP
> > to be the first class citizen in RTEMS
>
> +1
>
> > to offer full
> > networking and POSIX compatibility for small RTEMS
> > systems which cannot afford full BSD stack.
>
> Nice.
>
> > This means to connect LwIP to RTEMS file handle allocation
> > system to allow read(), write(), close() etc functions
> > to work with LwIP opened sockets. I have already located
> > places of the code which can serve as the base for such work.
>
> Nice.
>
> > I have spoken with Sebastian Huber about this task
> > on Embedded World. He thinks that this is too small
> > task for full GSoC. I believe that he can do that
> > in one or two days, I think that I have chance to do
> > that in one or two weeks if I have time. But for student
> > with need to understand and analyze the code first it is
> > quiet sufficient task and can be combined with test
> > preparation and implementation/porting of LwIP driver
> > for some architecture. So at the end, it can be reasonable
> > task for GSoC.
>
> I would like to see the RSB build lwIP as a package so it can be easy
> for users to get hold of.
>
> > I can send dump of my ideas and links to related
> > sources.
>
> Fantastic. Would a wiki page be a better place?

I have found and extended Packages/LWIP Wiki page to include
my analysis and pointers to the related sources and examples

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Packages/LWIP

I have added pointer to our LwIP port because it is much
more up to date than Joel referenced 2008 port and I think
that separation of target OS and ETHERNET controller drivers
is done better in our port than in actual BB port.
But I have added pointers to BB port as well.

If you have some more suggestions and pointers to information,
please, fill them to the wiki or move my description
onto some other Wiki page if it fits better for holding LwIP
development information.

> > So I offer role of consultant or co-mentor at least
> > for this task.
>
> I can help by being a co-mentor with you if you like.

May it be that you should be a mentor because you know original
RTEMS networking and IO library as one of main authors much
better then me.

Best wishes,

                Pavel
--