GSoC 2016 Interested in Tracing was Re:

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Mar 6 23:25:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

Please excuse the delay in responding.

Trace doco has been placed in the wiki here
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Tracing. It outlines the overall
structure of the tracing support we have. The key component is the trace
linker. The purpose of the trace linker is to capture in a single user
interface the complexities of tracing on an embedded real-time target.
The focus of the work to date is to provide a frame work to do this. The
trace buffering is a simplified but useful example of how to use the
trace linker to actually trace code. The printk generator is an even
simpler example.

I will update the Open Projects TraceTool page today.

For GSoC there are a few areas that can be worked on. They are:

  1) RTEMS Trace linker (rtems-tld) Symbol Signatures.
  2) Target Integration of the Capture Engine with rtems-tld
  3) CTF integration.
  4) Tracing tools improvements.

1) RTEMS Trace linker (rtems-tld) Symbol Signatures.

Update the elftools component and add libdwarf support to rtems-tools.
Provide a C++ framework in a similar manner to the ELF framework to wrap
libdwarf. The current use case for libdwarf is to get a function
signature of a library symbol from the debug info and with this create a
suitable function signature for the trace linker. Currently this is
manually done by adding the signatures to the generator INI files. The
manual approach is a stop gap measure and is not maintainable. This task
requires good C++ skills.

2) Target Integration of the Capture Engine with rtems-tld

The Capture Engine is a module in RTEMS for the target that provides low
level services for buffers, triggers and captures for the target. This
task integrates the Capture Engine to the RTEMS Trace Linker to allow
rtems-tld linked application to use the Capture Engine for the capture,
buffering and transport of the trace data. The task also includes
looking at adding other transports to the Capture Engine other than a
command line and console output. A role of the Capture Engine is to
provide an API users can access to allow custom transports. This is
important with custom hardware with restricted external interfaces.

3) CTF integration

Isaac has been looking at this and I hope he considers joining GSoC 2016
to help mentor the Trace project with me (Isaac, hint hint :)).

CTF is really neat and brings to RTEMS a range of features we really
need. The format is good and applicable to RTEMS and the post processing
and real-time monitoring tools are valuable.

The CTF has a range of tools and parts and this task is to bring those
together and into the RTEMS Trace Linker. The goal is to encapsulate
what is needed to use CTF and what it provides with the functionality of
the RTEMS Trace Linker to build an application for a user that uses CTF.
The rtems-tld tool knows about RTEMS and function signatures (see task
1) and it can be taught to internally invoke the CTF tools to create a
required meta-data files and target code to integrate with the CTF post
processing tools. Being able to use the Capture Engine is considered an
advantage.

This task is not as defined as the other ones and requires some research
and analysis following on from what Isaac has already done. Isaac has
discussed the remote protocol and this is an important part and worth
plenty of attention.

Isaac, please feel free to update and correctly anything I have said
here. As I said I will update the wiki page under Open Projects so
please add anything more you have related to CTF.

4) Tracing tools improvements

This is an opened ended task and not one to be initially focused on but
is here for completeness. The rtems-tld uses the binutils symbol mapping
feature in GNU ld and I have observed some interesting behaviour with
it. It would be good to characterise this behaviour and if possible
improve the support in GNU ld. I however feel there are limitations, eg
tracing static C functions internally optimised by the compiler, C++ and
templates, and more. Long term there maybe the need to add passes to gcc
to allow even better trace control. I can see us using the gcc Python
plug in tool [1]. For this to happen I would like to see a separate GCC
Plug-In project started and trace support being just one part of it.
This would allow other interesting but yet to be defined things
requiring GCC plug-in passes to be collected in one place. A separate
project for special gcc passes would allow auditing and controls to be
added so those users in our community who need to know everything about
the code running in their target can control what happens.

Chris

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/gcc-python-plugin/