GSOC 2016

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Mar 10 17:36:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> Joel should comment on this. He has been making a recent effort at
> unifying the PCI implementations in the BSP layer. However, we also
> have the new "drvmgr" framework in cpukit/libdrvmgr that supports PCI
> plus a lot of other devices and busses.

Gedare.. are you thinking of libpci or both liibdrvmgr and the new libpci

I didn't push on using libpci although I looked at it brief. Both are only
used by SPARC BSPs at the moment but would be good to bring over
to the other.

I left a ticket (https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2635) where some PowerPC
BSPs couldn't immediately use my shared pci_find_device.c because
I didn't promote out pci_scan().

It would be good to get that issue addressed and then start migrating
BSPs to use libpci and whatever is useful from what I did cleanup
up the pc386.

Between the two of those, there should be a nice GSoC project and
it would be appreciated.

+ migrate to use of libpci including enhancements as needed

I do not know enough about the driver manager to know which BSPs
should use it.  The pc386 may be a good candidate. I think if the
devices are dynamically detected on the BSP, it makes sense. But
not sure.

--joel