Building All Output Formats for RTEMS Docs

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Nov 4 05:46:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

Help needed so please read.

Building the RTEMS Documentation for HTML is easy. You need to install
Sphnix and it should run. There is a README.txt in the top directory of
rtems-docs.git repo and I have add FreeBSD and a little bit for CentOS
7. I would welcome patches to the README.txt for new host operating systems.

There is a way to install Sphinx as a user using 'pip' which is
currently not documented. I would welcome a patch detailing how to do this.

Building a Single HTML file is a little more complex but it is not too
bad. I have added instructions for FreeBSD and CentOS. I suspect most
Linux systems will just work. Please test and report.

Building PDF is more complex and will take a little time to be supported
on a range of host operating systems. PDF is built using pdflatex which
uses Latex and that is part of texlive. It seems texlive is packaged in
various ways depending on the base OS and the distro. Some distributions
such as CentOS are missing 6 texlive packages.

I think the way to solve this is to add the missing packages to our docs
repo on a per host basis. This has to be per host because of a possible
version skew on hosts where the package is available at the system
level. Another concern is dependences where a package requires more and
more. We need to limit what is needed. My hope it only a few are needed,
for example the 6 missing on CentOS 7. The only way to tell is to start
to add the packages and see.

I can add support to the waf build system to manage this but I cannot
test and create the various data sets for the hosts who need additional
texlive packages.

To test install Sphinx for your host, clone the docs repo, install as
much or as little of texlive as you think is needed, configure with the
--pdf option. If you get any failures post back here with the details of
your host and the failures. For CentOS 7 I installed all 600+ texlive
packages (which I think just package madness).