libbsd update to FreeBSD head (2016-08-23)

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Nov 9 14:05:43 UTC 2016

On 09/11/16 14:57, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2016 2:38 AM, "Sebastian Huber"
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I update currently the libbsd to FreeBSD head (2016-08-23) from
> FreeBSD 9.3. This is a very big jump in terms of FreeBSD development.
> The main goal is to catch up with FreeBSD and unify the baseline of
> the different parts of the libbsd. The network, USB and SD/MMC card
> parts used different FreeBSD versions. Thus, using an USB network
> component didn't work before due to incompatible network stack
> interfaces. There will be some work to do for each supported BSP after
> the update, e.g. adjustment of network interface drivers. I cannot do
> this for everything.
>
> Do you have a specific list of what BSPs need what done? Maybe file
> one ticket or multiple to cover it?

A list of BSPs that use the libbsd would be helpful. I test with the
following BSPs

powerpc/qoriq_t4240rdb
arm/xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu
arm/atsamv
arm/altcycv_devkit_smp
m68k/m5484FireEngine

> Instructions? Examples?

Its a very big update (about 900 source files), problems can be everywhere.

> > I will create a "4.12-freebsd-9.3" branch before the update in the
> next days and then commit the update to the master.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Any idea how this impacted performance? I know Chris had mentioned
> seeing a regression on Zynq.

There are so many ways to measure performance and this is a big update
with thousands of changes. So, I don't know.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de