Time spent in ticks...

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Oct 13 22:56:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Jakob Viketoft <
> jakob.viketoft at aacmicrotec.com> wrote:

I decided that another good point of reference was the powerpc/psim BSP. It
reports the benchmarks in instructions:

(1) rtems_clock_tick: only case - 229
(2) rtems interrupt: entry overhead returns to interrupted task - 102
(3) rtems interrupt: exit overhead returns to interrupted task - 95
(4) rtems interrupt: entry overhead returns to nested interrupt - 105
(5) rtems interrupt: exit overhead returns to nested interrupt - 85

229 + 102 + 96 = 427 instructions.

That seems roughly inline with the erc32 which is 1 cycle for all
instructions
except loads which are 3 and stores which are 2. And the sparc has
register windows so entering and exiting an ISR can potentially save
and restore a lot of registers.

So I am still leaning to Pavel's explanation that some primitive operation
is really inefficient.