Help

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun Feb 5 17:35:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hello Aditya Upadhyay,
>
> What is your goal for working on / contributing to RTEMS?
>
> POSIX Compliance is a reasonably good project to chip away at. Joel
> should have a likely list of candidates to investigate.
>
> One of the issues with POSIX Compliance is determining what is feasible
in the remaining methods. RTEMS is single process so any of the
multiple process methods are not likely to be implementable in their
fullest sense. We have managed to provide useful but incomplete support
of some like getpid(). So that's the space in which the solution must
be found.

In spite of that, there are some methods missing that should be completely
implementable.

Also, I have been analysing RTEMS versus the POSIX profiles defined
in the FACE Technical Standard which was designed for avionics systems.
My starting list is against the FACE General Purpose Profile which is a
subset
of the full POSIX standard. There may be more missing which I am not
listing.

So here is what **WAS** missing versus the FACE General Purpose POSIX
profile a few months ago.

devctl.h posix_devctl
fenv.h all 11
inttypes.h imaxdiv, wcstoimax & wcstoumax
math.h 35. acoshl, acosl, asinl, atan2l, atanhl, coshl, erfcl, exp2l, expl,
expm1l, fdiml, fmodl, frexpl, ilogbl, ldexpl, lgammal, llroundl, log10l,
log1pl, log2l, logbl, logl, lroundl, modfl, nextafterl, nexttoward,
nexttowardf, nexttowardl, powl, remainderl, remquol, scalblnl, scalbnl,
sinhl, & tgammal
spawn.h all 21
sys/mman.h mlock, mlockall, msync, munlock, munlockall, shm_open, &
shm_unlink
sys/select.h pselect
sys/socket.h sockatmark
unistd.h confstr

Looking at that list, I have worked on posix_devctl() and believe that
is complete minus the user manual. Gedare has worked on sys/mman.h
and shm APIs.

I would prioritize around inttypes.h, fenv, and unistd.h. The first two
 would
have implementations in newlib, the C Library we use. That would still be
a very valid part of a RTEMS GSoC Project. The implementation of
confstr() I haven't thought about.

The math.h methods may be able to be ported from FreeBSD or NetBSD
to newlib. I am not sure of their existence in those OSes offhand though.
Some research would be required.

spawn.h requires multiple processes so we ignore it.

The pselect method from sys/select.h should be provided by the new
TCP/IP stack. Not sure about its status.

> Update the TCP/IP Stack is basically done. There are however projects
> within the networking area to look into.

Agreed. I assume you refer to adding device drivers primarily.

One task which shouldn't be enough to be a GSoC project is a USB
bootable network application for the pc BSP which we can take around
to various PCs and test drivers.

> I'm not sure about the condition variables project. I think there is
> still some small amount of work there.
>
> I suspect that is done. Condition variables are part of C11 and likely
this was done for the special API project to speed up the TCP/IP stack.

You should be using RTEMS version 4.12 for any new development effort.
> Can you confirm that?
>
> Yes. Please confirm you are working on the master.

--joel