[rtems-docs commit] Update README due to use of math extension

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Feb 6 03:16:08 UTC 2017

On 02/02/2017 19:15, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Module:    rtems-docs
> Branch:    master
> Commit:    0680bd2d05847f423f0bb04e5b39abc33e57f80c
> Changeset: http://git.rtems.org/rtems-docs/commit/?id=0680bd2d05847f423f0bb04e5b39abc33e57f80c
>
> +For HTML output a Sphinx and a full Latex (texlive) installation is necessary.

Sorry, this change gets a big no from me and needs to be reverted. This
has broken me on MacOS. I do not accept a full Latex is the entry level
requirement to our documentation. I happily accept it is required to get
production quality output.

I have been away and so I am sorry I did not pick this up in any patches
posted for review.

I suggest this dependency be handled in another way such as
conditionally degraded output if the specific extension is not
available. I am happy to comment out of the bits related to this change
to avoid the errors I now get on MacOS until something else is sorted out.

Running Sphinx on MacOS is easy following the manual install but
installing a full Latex is not easy. The same goes for Windows. I do not
use 3rd party packaging systems on MacOS such as macports due to other
unrelated reasons and that situation will never change.

As I have stated requiring a full Latex to be able to contribute doc
changes has raise the entry level too high.

> +Sphinx uses Latex to produce images of mathematical formulas for the HTML
> +output.

We already support degraded quality if specific fonts are not present.
Our quality released documentation does need all required packages being
present on the release build systems.

Sorry