Basic IEEE802.11 (WiFi, WLAN) support for RTEMS (libbsd)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Feb 6 20:30:44 UTC 2017

On 6/2/17 8:10 pm, Christian Mauderer wrote:
> Am 06.02.2017 um 04:43 schrieb Chris Johns:
>> On 30/01/2017 19:49, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> we added a basic IEEE802.11 (WiFi, WLAN) support for RTEMS via libbsd.
>>> We only tested a RTL8192 based USB device so far (without encryption).
>>> You have to add
>>>
>>> SYSINIT_MODULE_REFERENCE(wlan_ratectl_none);
>>> SYSINIT_MODULE_REFERENCE(wlan_sta);
>>> SYSINIT_MODULE_REFERENCE(wlan_amrr);
>>> SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(rtwn_usb, uhub);
>>> SYSINIT_REFERENCE(rtwn_rtl8192cfwT);
>>>
>>> to the libbsd configuration to test it.
>>
>> Well done, this is awesome.
>>
>>> This is still work in progress.
>>
>> Do you plan to support rc.conf based configuration for wlan, eg
>> 30.3.4.1.2. Basic Settings in
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html ?
>
> We currently have no fixed plan for the configuration but I will take
> the rc.conf into consideration during the future work on the topic.

Thanks, it is important.

> I am
> aware that the rc.conf is _the_ place where libbsd configurations should
> be put

Yes, it is the only method of configuration we will document for users.
It is important we have a single supported method so users are not
confused by competing or differing methods.

> if somehow possible.

If you have commands working it should not be that hard. Full support
like FreeBSD is not required, it is a case of providing support for what
is currently implemented and available to users.