C++ thread library

Stavros Passas stavros.passas at movidius.com
Wed Feb 8 11:22:52 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I would like to know which is the proper way configuring our tool chain for
gnu threads support.

Currently if RTEMS thread compatibility is selected, gthr-rtems.h is used,
which enables

#define __GTHREADS 1

If instead of RTEMS, POSIX thread compatibility is selected, gthr-posix.h
is used, which defines:

#define __GTHREADS 1
#define __GTHREADS_CXX0X 1

The problem I face is that if __GTHREADS_CXX0X is not defined, the
toolchain does not build any C++ support for threads or mutexes, so
applications that use that interface fail to run properly.

Thus the question here is: how easy would it be to add/provide
__GTHREADS_CXX0X  in the RTEMS header? Is it just a matter of adding it
into the toolchain and providing some wrapper functions/stubs to existing
RTEMS functionality, or this functionality is not there at the moment,
which is the reason __GTHREADS_CXX0X  is not currently defined?

Best Regards,
  Stavros