perf tool for RTEMS?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Feb 9 02:21:22 UTC 2017

On 08/02/2017 16:56, 구철회 wrote:
> I am CHEOL. H. KOO from KARI, and newbie here.
>
> For application and project to be required, I think perf tool just like
> as linux perf tool is interesting to perform performance analysis of
> time critical application on RTEMS.

Tool such perf sample the program counter or inject code in the path and
that effects the data captured.

> But I have no found such a tool in RTEMS society yet.

What you may need depends on your specific requirements. There are some
open projects to add better support to RTEMS however this work needs
funding to be completed.

Often users instrument specific code in applications to help profile
specific pieces of code.

> Maybe I missed existing tools. If there weren’t, is it interesting to
> you for porting it from linux perf or developing new one for RTEMS?

There are tools like the Lauterbach debugger that can profile
architectures with suitable hardware support. They provide some of the
best solutions you can get however even these excellent and expensive
tools can effect the cycle times of running code.