x86_64 support?

Jan Sommer soja-lists at aries.uberspace.de
Fri Feb 10 11:52:42 UTC 2017

Am 2017-02-09 22:07, schrieb Chris Johns:
> On 10/02/2017 02:22, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 2017 7:29 AM, "Jan Sommer" <soja-lists at aries.uberspace.de
>> <mailto:soja-lists at aries.uberspace.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     As far as I see there is no support for x86_64 yet. I found that
>>     there was a GSoC proposal to add BSP for the architecture, but I
>> am
>>     not sure if it was accepted.
>>
>>     Does someone know what is the current status of 64bit support and
>>     what would be missing for a working BSP with a PCI and clock
>> driver?

[...]
> I recently updated the x86_64 project ticket and I suggest checking it
>
>  https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2898

Thank you for all the information. I am not sure that we have the
experience for such a project available atm.
I am not that familiar with the details of x86, but would it be possible
to run a i386-BSP-application on a 64bit-CPU (e.g. something like
http://www.systerra.de/documents/IDAN-CMA24GS_DS1.pdf)?
Given that we don't need any 64bit features, is it much work to start an
RTEMS application in the 32bit compatibility mode?

Best regards

    Jan