Desirable Application Stacks (Add-On Library Collections)

groups at chichak.ca groups at chichak.ca
Mon Jan 9 00:02:49 UTC 2017

> On 2017-January-03, at 13:38, Christian Mauderer <Christian.Mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

Recently, I needed to, approximately, do this. Though the lightbulb was actually the controller for a variable pitch radiator fan on a piece of farm equipment.

I needed to put in a web server to provide a method to help the end customer set a few configuration parameters. I ended up using an ESP8266 as a WiFi station. You associate with it, fire up your web browser, and you get a configuration page and a status page.

If I had used some sort of BTLE device, I would have had to write a Windows app, a Mac app, an iPhone app, 16 versions of Android apps, and when WWDC happens, start all over again. WiFi and HTML just made so much more sense, let the browser companies to the client side.

At one point I figured that there must be a way to use the httpd server that comes with LwIP, but it is pretty ingrained with the IP and ethernet stack and there wasn’t a clean interface that could be exposed quickly.

I ended up writing my own web page server. It sucks, I wish there was a better way, and I’m certain that it’s going to bite me really soon now.

Andrei