Thread name support

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jan 16 11:56:13 UTC 2017

On 16/1/17 7:19 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

> On 16/01/17 09:08, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> It think the POSIX API manual should be replaced by a simple list of
>>> POSIX functions implemented by RTEMS. Each with a link to The Open Group
>>> documentation and optionally RTEMS-specific things.
>> What happens with PDF or epub format? Currently the PDF documentation is
>> fully contained. Doing this means the users has to have internet access
>> to use it.
>
> Who looks at the RTEMS documentation to figure out what a POSIX function
> does? I never used the POSIX API manual.

Many people do. It is important when something is not working as
expected. Not all users are keen to jump into the RTEMS source code to
figure something out, or have an inside to outside view.

>>> The thread names are available for every API. It should be documented
>>> somewhere in the user manual.
>>>
>> The C user manual? The RTEMS User Manual does not contain any API
>> related doco.
>
> Hm, the C user manual and the RTEMS User Manual are different things?

Yes. The RTEMS User manual is about using RTEMS, the ecosystem, setting
up a development environment, the type of host hardware you need,
debugging, applications, support, tools and more. The C User manual is
the detail on runtime configuration, the Classic API and other C base
interfaces users need to call to run RTEMS.