GSoC Mentors / Projects of Interest

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jan 30 18:21:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Kuan Hsun Chen
> <kuan-hsun.chen at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Could we invoke a project for https://git.rtems.org/rtems-schedsim/
> again?
> > It could be useful to develop/verify scheduling algorithms.
> >
> > Quote from Joel:
> > "I honestly think the best approach is to build a native gcc/newlib
> toolset
> > and use that so that the C Library differences should be handled without
> > too much effort."
> >
> That will be fine. The projects needs some clear requirements,
> definitions, and plan though. We have had many try to use schedsim
> with only a few notable successes.

To expand on why I said that. For most of its history, RTEMS had few
direct dependencies on a C Library. The addition of SMP saw the beginning
of a tighter integration of newlib and RTEMS.

When schedsim was developed, only the affinity and a couple of other things
required work arounds with glibc. Now that we are using more from newlib
that originated in FreeBSD such as the time structures.

Building a native gcc with newlib at least opens the door to having the
same .h files.  Beyond that, it is logically building the core of RTEMS
as a Linux user space application. The "port" is just sufficient to make
the RTEMS code think it is context switching something.

But project ideas need to be on the wiki.