Desirable Application Stacks (Add-On Library Collections)

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jan 9 23:54:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 10/01/2017 10:25, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> I'm not picking with this thread.
>>

> Sure.
>
> I was hoping to pick up enough ideas where
>> a nice GSoC project would be fleshing this side of the RSB out.
>>

> I have no idea how to approach this problem and I am assuming we want to
> use the tests in a package.
>
> I would assume that is an option as is having external tests ourselves
that show how to use it with RTEMS.

> Building a package to create a library is just the C compiler and build
> flags. Creating an executable is a more complex step requiring more parts
> of the system to be working, ie rtems_waf.git tweaks. Each package has its
> own way of building tests so I am not sure if the solution is in the RSB,
> RTEMS, RTEMS BSPs, the packages themselves or all of these.

I would be willing to consider this lower priority since it is a one
package at a time problem.

I was really more concerned with examples that show how to use something
after it is installed. Say for a matrix math library, we have a simple test
that uses one or two operations. Just enough to get a user started and
sanity check a package is installed.

> If this was a GSoC project and it includes tests it would be in the
> difficult category because the student would need experience in tools,
> build systems and RTEMS. A keen student would need to be showing a real
> interest in this area now.

Agreed. Especially since we don't have the problem scoped or good solutions
for all the issues ourselves.