[rtems-tools commit] Add Newlib patch

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jul 10 23:47:15 UTC 2017

On 11/07/2017 00:10, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:36 AM, Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>> On 10/07/17 08:31, Chris Johns wrote:
>>
>>> I have stopped pushing patches into this repo and I am using attachments
>>> on Trac
>>> tickets. I prefer this approach because there is nothing to clean up. What
>>> do
>>> you think?
>>

>> Attachments to tickets sounds like a very good idea.
>>
> I have a minor hesitance about the 'permanence' of the ticket
> attachments (considering our experience with data loss in the past
> transition to trac). With the patches stored in the repo itself there
> is less risk that a (historical) build is lost. However, the
> maintenance burden may be worth using the tickets instead so I'm not
> greatly opposed. Just hesitant.

We have to manage this for all the possible places we source patches. We could
move away from git and face a similar issue. The main problem we have with the
patches in the tools repo is knowing which are valid and being used and which
can be removed.

I have been linking to tickets held in bugzilla, trac and mailing lists of the
other projects. I think it is good to get the source and patches from as close
to the project as we can. We have been really good at upstreaming the patches we
have.

Also a release captures the source and patches and this is part of the release.
This means the patches in a release are not fetched from the upstream source and
not dependent on the original location.