Undefined reference to `__sync_bool_compare_and_swap_4' for some Leon configurations with gfortran

Jan.Sommer at dlr.de Jan.Sommer at dlr.de
Fri Mar 3 10:13:12 UTC 2017

 [...]
> > I updated the __sync-check of libbacktrace and now the undefined references
> are gone and my test program compiles.
> > If there are no objections I would try to push something like the attached
> patch upstream. Do you have any suggestions to which branches?
> > I thought about trunk and the gcc-6 branch or do we need further backports
> for older RTEMS versions?
>
> I don't think this is the way to go. Firstly, this is certainly not a SPARC-specific
> problem.
> Secondly, RTEMS is multi-threaded, are you sure you can simply disable
> this feature?

Well, the patch only disabled the feature in the configuration of libbacktrace.
If I understand autotools correctly, this shouldn't affect other parts of gcc, i.e.
if the builtins are used there they should still show up as undefined references.

> RTEMS supports C11 atomic operations which includes libatomic
> support. However, we lack the
> __sync_* builtin support on targets without atomic operations in hardware. This
> is the problem we should fix. We should provide these functions either in libgcc
> or in libatomic.

I was afraid you would say that ;-). However, I am not sure I would know where/how  to start.

> One open question is why is there a libbacktrace dependency in libgfortran?
> Does this add any value to embedded targets?

I don't think so. That's why I assumed it would be safe to change the configuration of libbacktrace
in order to get the fortran program to compile.