PI STATUS

Alan Cudmore alan.cudmore at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 17:24:26 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,
This is how far I was able to get when trying to run libBSD on the Pi. I
will give you a better idea of where to start.
https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2016-September/016092.html
Since then, the libbsd version has been updated in RTEMS, so it may need
some work to get it to compile again.

Here is a general status as I understand it:
RTEMS ( without bsdlib ) works on the original Pi model B, Pi A+, Pi B+, Pi
Zero, and the Pi 2.
SMP works on the Pi 2.

RTEMS does not work on the Pi 3 yet, The UART that the current BSPs use as
a console is now used by the Bluetooth.
So a new UART driver has to be written for the "mini-uart" that serves as
the console on the Pi3.
I believe the same applies to the new Raspberry Pi Zero W, which has the
same Bluetooth wireless stack.

We have been working on I2C, SPI, and GPIO support.
I2C has been converted to the new linux user API, but SPI has not.
GPIO and I2C work, but I have not been able to get my SPI devices to work.

So potential Raspberry Pi work includes:
Convert the existing SPI support to the new Linux SPI API and test with SPI
devices
Continue to work on the LibBSD support
Support the Pi Zero W ( and potentially the Pi 3 ) by creating a new uart
driver
Support Pi 3 SMP ( along with the UART )

Even more advanced work could include:
Support the Wifi and bluetooth in LibBSD for the Pi Zero W and/or Pi 3.

Gedare, I know this should probably be on the GSOC wiki, right  ?

Alan