RTEMS 4.12 gcc-7.1.0/binutils-2.28 test results

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed May 31 11:16:25 UTC 2017

On 31/5/17 5:00 pm, Joel Sherrill wrote> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017, Chris Johns
<chrisj at rtems.org
> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     I am happy to push the patches to update to gcc-7.1.0 and binutils-2.28 and keep
>     SH on the current tools and the PowerPC on binutils-2.27.
>

> This sounds reasonable and unfortunately it is common to have a couple of
> architectures which have issues and have to be held back for a while.

Great. The patches are on the list for review. I will push them tomorrow if
nothing is raised.

> Did you ask about the binutils issue? It appears to be motorola_powerpc BSPs
> which turn the executable into a compressed binary image and link it to the
> bootloader. Maybe the objcopy messes up the section type.  One solution if this
> isn't fixable is to use the RTEMS utility which converts a file into a C array
> which can then just be compiled so it gets the right sections, CPU flags, etc.
> Same result in the end but a bit more complicated for the build system.

I discussed this with Sebastian a week or so ago and he said there are some GOT
type references in the bootloader which must be the cause. I seem to remember
there are warnings bring printed with 2.27 but the result is not fatal.
Something must have changed.

The other solution if the bootloader is broken is to not build it. If it is
needed someone will need to fix the code and remove the warnings.