Building RTEMS with Clang?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Nov 6 23:27:36 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Hesham Almatary <heshamelmatary at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've come across this page [1], but it hasn't been updated since 2011.
> I'm wondering what's the status of Clang project and how feasible it's
> to build RTEMS with it.

That page is status from my attempt to compile RTEMS with clang.
I got far enough to know that the bsp_specs were a gcc dependent
issue that had to be addressed and that the bsp_specs were
assumed to be present by the build system.

Things got a lot better with Gaisler (Daniel H. cc'ed) putting serious
effort into clang/llvm on the SPARC for RTEMS. They even added
support for a compact instruction set like the Thumb.

It would be interesting to see how their SPARC work improved
the situation in general. That has not been evaluated.

--joel