RTEMS milestones 4.13 and 5.0?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Oct 12 14:24:19 UTC 2017

On 11/10/17 11:30 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

> milestones 4.13 and 5.0 don't fit the new version scheme:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Release#RTEMSRelease5SeriesAndHigherNumbering
>

> I suggest to rename the 5.0 milestone to 5.1 and move all 4.13 tickets to 5.1.

A change to the major revision number requires a major change. The reality is
4.12 should be 5.0. The release and what it contains has grown considerable and
we are currently attempting to converge on stability across all hosts and
architectures before we branch. Looking at 4.12 now it appears to me to be a
good 5.0 candidate so should this happen or is it too late?

We have planned the move to 5.0 to be a build system change. The work to make
this important and needed change is not small and I cannot do it without funding
and I do not have any for this work. Moving to 5.0 after 4.12 without something
major may result in a long wait while planned 5.0 changes are implemented. As a
result we will have smaller things hanging on the development branch that should
be released as we have with 4.12 now. We added 4.13 as a way to keep us keep
moving with releases while we figure out now to make the build system change. I
do not like having 4.13 but I do not see another path. Jumping to 5.0 is a solution.