RTEMS milestones 4.13 and 5.0?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Oct 13 06:37:23 UTC 2017

On 12/10/17 16:24, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 11/10/17 11:30 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> milestones 4.13 and 5.0 don't fit the new version scheme:
>>
>> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Release#RTEMSRelease5SeriesAndHigherNumbering
>>

>> I suggest to rename the 5.0 milestone to 5.1 and move all 4.13 tickets to 5.1.
>>
> A change to the major revision number requires a major change.

In the new version scheme the major number changes with every release.

> The reality is
> 4.12 should be 5.0. The release and what it contains has grown considerable and
> we are currently attempting to converge on stability across all hosts and
> architectures before we branch. Looking at 4.12 now it appears to me to be a
> good 5.0 candidate so should this happen or is it too late?
>
> We have planned the move to 5.0 to be a build system change. The work to make
> this important and needed change is not small and I cannot do it without funding
> and I do not have any for this work. Moving to 5.0 after 4.12 without something
> major may result in a long wait while planned 5.0 changes are implemented. As a
> result we will have smaller things hanging on the development branch that should
> be released as we have with 4.12 now. We added 4.13 as a way to keep us keep
> moving with releases while we figure out now to make the build system change. I
> do not like having 4.13 but I do not see another path. Jumping to 5.0 is a solution.

Using 5.1 for the next release is probably less confusing for users
since a lot of stuff changed (current master would be 5.0.0, release is
5.1.0, branch version after release is 5.1.1). Someone would have to do
this number change.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de