RTEMS Tester Kit

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Sep 19 23:35:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am currently looking into getting `rtems-test` to support TFTP loading of
tests to targets that support networking with bootloaders like u-boot that can
boot executables.

I have added a TFTP server implemented in python to the `rtems-test` command and
each request to the server sends the next test so the tester can cycling through
all the tests. The file requested by the target is ignored.

I have also added telnet as a tty console so you can get serial data via telnet.
This integrates with the rather useful ser2net package that is widely available.

If you combine TFTP and telnet you have a nice clean way to support target
testing. The loading is fast, the connections to the testing host is all via the
network and there is no extra complexity of JTAG and related software or the
need to write to flash devices that can fail or wear.

However there is a simple but important piece missing, recovery when a test
fails due to the target locking up. There needs to be a way to reset the board.

I can add support to the configuration file to use a script that can interface
to networked power switches and the power can be toggled. This is support needs
to be added however these devices and often slow and some targets do not take
kindly to lots of power cycles. Another solution would be some way to toggle an
output that can be connected to the reset of a board. Most boards have reset on
a pin we could connect too.

I was wondering about a RPi with a commonly available IO board and a Linux image
we provide as an SD image we document as a standard test support kit. The RPi
could have ser2net ready to go and a way to control outputs via telnet.

I know there are RPi Linux users lurking in our community so I am wanting to
draw on the expertise we have to create a small project to do this.

To highlight the importance testing of master (4.12) on real hardware, I spot
checked on a Beaglebone Black yesterday a few tests and I have found minimum and
dl02 do not finish. That is 2 out of 10 or so tests I have tried that fails.

I am after ideas for hardware, software and most all volunteers. Please join in.