LLVM/clang status?

Daniel Hellstrom daniel at gaisler.com
Fri Sep 15 14:33:04 UTC 2017

Hi,

We did submit some SPARC patches to make RTEMS compile with LLVM during
May. One of the patches which was not accepted I believe Sebastian
updated and pushed during end of July. We have not made any attempts
rebuilding since. At the time we ran the tests we were able to run most
of the RTEMS test-suite with 20-25 failures or so if I recall correctly.
However most of them was not dependent on LLVM and fixed since in the
RTEMS repository, the others were fixed in the LLVM SPARC/LEON-REX
backend. I recall that there were some potential problems with SPARC
inline assembly in some cases when building for LEON-REX (no surprise
since it is not the same ISA..). Also, we built newlib using LLVM. I'm
not sure which kernel configurations we compiled for though.

Since May we distribute a LLVM-4.0 toolchain with our bare-metal
environment. During the coming months we plan to release a LLVM
toolchain together with RCC-1.3.x. However we have some work to do on
the front-end for RTEMS first and testing of course. We will have some
LLVM specific documentation once released.

Regards,
Daniel