replying to mailing list

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Sat Apr 28 12:45:05 UTC 2018

Am 28.04.2018 um 14:23 schrieb Vijay Kumar Banerjee:
> Ok, thanks. Can you please also tell ne how to switch ?
> is it by subscribing to the list again and selecting no in the daily
> digest option ?
>
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 17:49 Joel Sherrill, <joel at rtems.org
> <mailto:joel at rtems.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Sat, Apr 28, 2018, 8:05 AM Vijay Kumar Banerjee
>     <vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com <mailto:vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I have a bit off topic question .
>
>         I receive devel Digests from the devel mailing list, how do I
>         reply to a particular message in the mailing list without
>         breaking the thread?
>

>     You can't. You need to switch to individual message mode. Otherwise,
>     the individual threads become untraceable.
>

>         -- vijay

Hello Vijay,

when you first registered, you should have received a mail with a
password that you can use here:

By the way: It's not 100% correct that you can't reply without breaking
a thread. But it involves manipulating mail headers manually to get the
correct "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" headers. Basically these should
include the "Message-ID:" of the mail you want to reply to.

You don't want to do that for your daily communication but it's useful
to know these headers in case you want to send a patch to a thread via
git. Git knows the command "git send-email --in-reply-to=<some id>"
where you can provide a Message-ID.

By the way: I did that manual mail manipulation once on another list
(not RTEMS) to answer to some mail that has been written before I have
been registered. But that's a lot of effort:

- You would have to download the "Gzip'd Text" from the archive,
- extract the mail that you want to answer to with a text editor,
- save that as a .eml file,
- import it somehow into your favourite mail client and
- than answer to that mail.

Like I said: Nothing you want to do for your daily communication ;-)

Best regards

Christian