Compiler flags --pipe

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Apr 6 14:51:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 4:25 AM, Mikhail Svetkin <mikhail.svetkin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am very interested in the flag --pipe.
> Why we use --pipe instead of -pipe?
> Why we use --pipe only for gcc and not for g++?
> Can somebody explain me?

The choice of whether to use --pipe is being made by autoconf probes.  \
But I only see the test for "PROG_CC" not "PROG_CXX".

The file prog-cc.m4 invokes RTEMS_GCC_PIPE.

dnl check if the target compiler may use --pipe
RTEMS_GCC_PIPE
test "$rtems_cv_gcc_pipe" = "yes" && CC="$CC --pipe"

but there is no comparable code in the prog-cxx.m4.

Looks like an oversight and a patch is welcomed. Feel free
to file a ticket and take a shot at fixing it. :)

Thank you in advance.

Nice spot!

--joel