Version of FreeBSD for libbsd

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Sun Aug 5 20:25:30 UTC 2018

Am 05.08.2018 um 19:21 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018, 8:59 AM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de
> <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>> wrote:
>
>     Am 03.08.2018 um 19:30 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
>     > Hi
>     >
>     > libbsd.txt says this is based on FreeBSD 9.2 but I thought it
>     > had been updated past that.
>     >
>     > Also how could I have figured this out otherwise?
>     >
>     > If it matters, there are also man pages references to FreeBSD 9.2.
>     >
>     > And is the Changes up to date? It has a date of 2017?
>     >
>     > Thanks.
>     >
>     >
>     > --joel
>     >
>     >

>     Hello Joel,
>
>     since we have a single release for all sources since about one year, the
>     simplest method to find out which release is used is to take a look at
>     the freebsd-org submodule. Currently that's revision 642b174da of the
>     FreeBSD git mirror which is from 2017-04-04.
>
>     So it should be something between 11 and 12.
>

> Then what do you recommend the phrase be in the libbsd.txt since it says
> 9 right now.

Currently it's

  RTEMS uses FreeBSD 9.2 as the source of its TCP/IP and USB stacks.

How about something like the following instead:

  The libbsd makes FreeBSD subsystems like TCP/IP, USB, SD and some more
usable for RTEMS. It tries to follow the FreeBSD development as close as
possible and therefore is updated to the latest FreeBSD HEAD revision
from time to time.

It seems that we have two types of man page links:

1. In the "Network Stack Features" section and two other points:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=unix&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.2-RELEASE[UNIX(4)]::
UNIX-domain protocol family

2. The following style for all other links:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=device

I'm not sure whether the "Network Stack Features" is still up to date
but if it is, maybe we should migrate to the style 2.

Best regards

Christian