Some problems with the libbsd update

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Aug 22 09:51:23 UTC 2018

On 22/08/18 09:50, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> To support everything in RTEMS is a lot of work, so I have to make
> some trade-offs. The implementation of this API must be as efficient
> as possible since it is used in the critical paths of the network
> stack. I will try to use a single global epoch and thread-specific
> records as suggested by Matthew Macy to avoid the need for
> per-processor data structures and the thread pinning. One key issue is
> that epoch records must not be destroyed:
>
> https://www.mankier.com/3/ck_epoch_register
>
> The consequence of this is that unlimited thread objects may lead to
> undefined behaviour with this implementation approach. Also
> thread-local storage cannot be used since it is reinitialized once a
> thread restarted or reused. The epoch record must be included in the
> Thread_Control and must not be touched by _Thread_Initialize(). This
> means I have to move the API and its implementation along with the
> Concurrency Kit to RTEMS.

Ok, there is also an

http://www.concurrencykit.org/doc/ck_epoch_unregister.html

and

http://www.concurrencykit.org/doc/ck_epoch_recycle.html

This allows a localized implementation in libbsd.

Due to performance reasons this requires the use of thread-local
storage. Any objections to make thread-local storage a hard requirement
for libbsd support?

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de